We’re fans of insider tips and trade secrets, even when it comes to making breakfast. Enter the Waffle Lady. Hailing from her farm in Willamette Valley, Oregon, Jeanne Scott, founded her breakfast in a box (and jar—she’s packaged her famous Jumbleberry Pie into a syrup, too!) from a pure love for her family. The mother of six (who also raises chickens, ducks, horses and a Thanksgiving turkey on her farm) has mastered the art of all-natural and organic morning-time yumminess.
I believe a clean eating lifestyle isn’t simply about diets and detoxes. It’s about healthy comfort food, too! So, when we’re brunching with no carb boundaries (and I don’t feel like making something from scratch), this all-organic mix of hand-ground grains gets major requests in our home. My version includes the zest of one lemon in the batter and I stack them high with blueberry maple syrup and topped with candied lemon slices and savory maple smoked bacon. As with every recipe, quality ingredients make a difference—I use organic eggs and Broguiere‘s 2 percent fat milk instead of buttermilk (it’s a fresh, local Southern California farm still making home deliveries in glass bottles!); using two parts milk, one part water.
Photography by Aaron R. Thomas, styled by Food That Looks Good.
Perfect Pancakes With Blueberry Maple Syrup, Candied Lemon Slices And Bacon
- 1 box of Waffle Lady’s Belgian Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups fresh 2% fat milk, 1/2 cup water or 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 slices of bacon, I prefer maple smoked bacon
- Prepare pancakes per box instruction. Add zest of lemon to the wet ingredients before adding the pancake mix. Cook pancakes per box instruction on hot griddle or pan.
- To make candied lemons: Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and place thinly sliced lemons in a single layer. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 45 mins. or until lemons are almost dry and covered with a sugary glaze. While still warm, loosen slices from paper to prevent sticking.
- To make Blueberry Maple Syrup: Heat maple syrup and blueberries in a small saucepan over medium heat. Let simmer gently, do not boil.
- Cook the bacon.
- Serve Perfect Pancakes stacked topped with Blueberry Maple Syrup and garnished with two bacon slices and candied lemon.