There’s a childlike fondness of indulging in a sweet treat before a meal and at The Loft at Montage Laguna Beach chef Casey Overton knows this. Breakfast at the resort’s luxe-casual restaurant always begins with a small square of fresh baked banana bread, lightly dusted with powdered sugar. It’s the fluffiest, not-too-sweet treat to start the day and the perfect accompaniment to a cappuccino whilst deciding between Bananas Foster Waffle or Lobster Benedict. I asked chef Overton if he’d share the delectable recipe with us. Enjoy!
- 16 ounces flour
- 16 ounces brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 over ripe bananas pureed
- 1/4 pound melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, add the flour, brown sugar, kaing soda and baking powder and thoroughly mix until everything is evenly incorporated. In a second bowl, add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, butter and banana puree and whisk until everything is a smooth consistency.
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan with butter or non stick spray thoroughly.
- When pan and oven are both ready, add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and combine quickly. Batt may be slightly lumpy. Do not over mix the batter. Empty the batter into the greased pan and put directly into the oven.
- Bake for 20-minutes and check with a toothpick or cake knife. Toothpick should come out clean. Continue baking for an additional 5-minutes and check that bread is cooked through. Remove from oven and cool. Cut and serve.